Higher Education

HE collage

Lead Government Department


Funding agencies

Research Councils

Research Councils UK (RCUK) is the strategic partnership of the UK’s seven Research Councils:

Other research

Other Government agencies and contacts

Professional bodies (sector wide)

  • Universities UK. Universities UK is the umbrella group for all Universities.
  • GuildHE. Formerly the Standing Conference of Principals, GuildHE is a representative body whose members come from Colleges with HE provision.
  • Universities Scotland.
  • Russell Group. The Russell Group represents 20 leading Universities.
  • University Alliance. University Alliance is a group of 23 major, business-engaged universities.
  • million +. million + is a university think-tank formed from post-1992 universities that seeks to use rigorous research and evidence based policy to solve complex problems in higher education.
  • 1994 group. The 1994 group consists of nineteen internationally renowned, research-intensive universities.
  • Council of Church Universities and Colleges (Cathedrals Group). Association of Universities and Colleges with Church foundations.

Professional bodies (specific disciplines)


  • Jobs.ac.uk. Operated by the University of Warwick.

Student information

Student unions

University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)

  • UCAS runs the centralised admissions service for Universities in the UK, including the summer ‘Clearing’ period when applicants who have failed to gain a place can reapply after their A level results are published.

Trade Unions

Support for teaching and non-teaching staff

%d bloggers like this: